Since 1985, I've taught at SUNY Geneseo, where I served as interim provost in 2016-17 and chair of the English department from 2010 to 2015. I'm currently Professor of English and Assistant to the Provost for Digital Learning and Scholarship. I teach courses in Victorian Literature, Humanities, and Digital Humanities.
- I'm director of Digital Thoreau, a web resource dedicated to helping readers approach the works of American author Henry David Thoreau the same way he tried to live life: deliberately. At Digital Thoreau, you can read a fluid-text edition of Walden that enables you to follow Thoreau's revisions to the work across seven manuscript versions; join a community of readers in a social network for annotating Thoreau's works collaboratively, and learn about the life and work of Thoreau scholar and SUNY Geneseo Distinguished Professor of English Walter Harding.
- I recently contributed a keyword entry on Annotation to Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities: Concepts, Models, and Experiments, a book project of the Modern Language Association.
- I maintain English @ SUNY Geneseo, a learning and shared-interest network built with Commons In a Box, a free plugin for the open-source blogging platform WordPress created and maintained by City University of New York and CUNY Graduate Center.
From 2002 to 2010, I chaired SUNY Geneseo's Academic Program Assessment Committee and built a wiki-based assessment platform designed to promote a recording rather than a reporting approach to assessment. I continue to believe that done right, assessment resists rather than promotes the corporatization of higher education.
- Fall 2017: ENGL/INTD 388, Into the Woods: Experiments in Community, Sustainability, and the Examined Life (with Debra Schleef, University of Mary Washington)
- Fall 2017: ENGL/INTD 388, Digital Methods for Humanists (coming soon)
- Spring 2016: HUMN 221, Western Humanities II
- Spring 2015: ENGL 340, Literature and Literary Study in the Digital Age
- Fall 2014: ENGL 454, Major Authors: Charles Dickens
- Fall 2013: ENGL 170/203, Practicing Criticism/Reader and Text
Find me at: